Friday 11 July 2014



Talk into

Talk out of





Estos phrasal verbs son completamente opuestos. ¿Saben qué significan? Les doy ejemplos primero y luego vemos si acertaron. Son muy sencillos.

1) A: Your apartment is lovely.
         Tu departamento es precioso.

     B: Thanks. I wasn't sure about moving here at first, because it's kind of far from the office. Thank God my girlfriend talked me into doing it. I'm so happy here!
         Gracias. Al principio no sabía si mudarme acá, porque está un poco lejos de la oficina. Por suerte mi novia me convenció de hacerlo. ¡Estoy chocho acá!

2) A: Look at that! The tickets we bought to India a month ago are twice as expensive now!
         ¡Mirá! Los pasajes que compramos a India hace un mes ¡están el doble de caros!
     B: Good thing I talked you into getting them back then, huh? And you said we should wait...
          Menos mal que te convencí de comprarlos en ese momento, ¿no? Y vos querías esperar...

3) A: Mary wants to quit her job and move to Tibet.
         María quiere renunciar a su trabajo y mudarse al Tíbet.
     B: We have to talk her out of it. It's crazy! She has a great life here!
          La tenemos que disuadir. ¡Es una locura! ¡Vive muy bien acá!

4) I wanted to go to New York in January, but I was talked out of it by friends who told me it's the worst time to go there. It's freezing!
    Quería ir a Nueva York en enero, pero mis amigos me convencieron de que no me convenía porque es la peor época del año para ir. ¡Hace un frío bárbaro!

¡Sí! Talk someone into something/doing something es persuadir, convencer (con palabras). Y talk someone out of something/doing something es disuadir (también con palabras, claro). ¿Ya las conocían?

I wonder if I can talk you into leaving a comment... You know you want to!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive